Thursday, September 11, 2008

255

I'm in the middle of a grand experiment.  Well, not really so grand.  I think cow milk might be causing the eczema on Aidan's elbows and knees.  We were off milk for a couple weeks and it completely went away, as did his "melt downs".  Then I started letting him have some milk products and it showed up again (along with the melt downs).  So, we're off milk again.  I've been looking online and I've found out that food allergies can cause behavioral issues, eczema, and a whole slew of other health issues.  It's been hard.  Hard for me, mostly.  No mac 'n cheese, chocolate, pizza, string cheese, goldfish, ice cream, granola bars, grilled cheese sandwiches, cheese cake, butter, caramel.  It's been hard finding bread without milk products and I have yet to find any snack crackers.  Breaded products, like chicken nuggets, also usually contain milk.  I wouldn't call it a full blown allergy, maybe just a sensitivity?  It's also been a challenge figuring out different ways to get calcium.  I really would rather it be a wheat issue.  I can live without wheat.  I'm grateful, however, that we may have figured out how to get rid of the eczema.

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

I can sympathize with you! One of the little boys that I take care of is allergic to milk and eggs. I will keep an eye on the food they send with him each day and let you know some of the things he eats, if you'd like. I know they have found bread, crackers, and hot dog buns that he can eat.

Carolyn (Dragon) said...

You'll probably find them at a health food grocery store.

Arlene said...

That's neat you figured that out. I love chocolate and vanilla soymilk.

AZ Hey-mon said...

Wow, that is too bad. But I am glad you have found the source.

Clammy said...

Sounds like a pain, but I bet it is nice to not have problems with eczema and no more melt downs!

Merry said...

Wow! Who knew milk could cause so much trouble!

Unknown said...

I'm still not positive it's the milk. We'll see.