Wednesday, November 10, 2010

314: Yikes!

Photobucket

What does one do with a giant tub of solid vegetable fat? Make a lot of cookies? Nope. Not in these parts. Why, we make tortillas, of course. Now, tortilla snobs would say you can only use lard, but I'm not that snobby. Plus I couldn't find lard at my grocery store. I know they've got to have it, heck, the carry chicken feet and cow hearts, but I'm not brave enough to venture to that part of the store. I will say that once you try homemade flour tortillas, you may never go back to store bought. Just ask my kids. They'll second me. The first time I tried to make tortillas was about 10 years ago and it was a dismal failure. I'm not sure what went wrong. But about 6-7 months ago I tried it again and haven't bought tortillas since. And we eat tortillas a couple times a month around here. I think the trick is to roll them thin. THIN! So thin that you can see through them. So thin you think "this is way too thin." So thin that you can't press any harder with your rolling pin. Thin. I turn my electric griddle up as high as it will go and cook them up. Yum. Oliver is my big tortilla guy. He'll roll them out for me and then eat them up. He especially likes them with scrambled eggs and salsa. He's definitely my child. And we don't have any photos of the actual tortillas because we were too busy eating them. Soon I'm going to have to try to make corn tortillas. Ah, brings back memories of my six weeks in Mexico. Just the good memories. Everything else I've blocked out. Anyway, you can find the recipe I use for flour tortillasover here. I'm grateful I tried to make these again.

4 comments:

Carolyn (Dragon) said...

Sounds like a lot of work just for a tortilla! I love Navajo Fry bread which is similar!

Clammy said...

I may have to try it sometime.

AZ Hey-mon said...

I was just at my friends house and saw her tortilla press. I am sure it is really for corn tortillas. I have childhood memories of making tortillas with my mom. So awesome you are doing it with your kids. I might have to try them. yummy.

Unknown said...

Not a lot of work.