Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My day in the hospital

I spent the morning here. Why? A week or so before Christmas I passed out. I don't know how else to explain it. I was getting ready for bed, brushing my teeth, and the next thing I know Rick is calling my name asking if I'm ok. We laugh about his experience now, but he was pretty freaked out at the time. He said I went upstairs and a few minutes later he heard a thud. He thought one of the kids had fallen out of bed. He came up to check, found all the kids still in bed, then found me on the floor in the bathroom. My electric toothbrush was buzzing away on the floor and my face was covered with toothpaste. I woke as soon as he said my name and felt fine, but ended up with a huge bruise on my hip from when I hit the floor. Weird. So I went to the doctor a couple days later under the guise of having just a routine physical. Honestly, I've never had one. The Doc asked me what really brought me in so I told him the story. Well, he immediately ordered every test possible. Not really, but it felt like it. A complete blood work-up, EKG, blood pressure test, whatever. And he told me to stop training for the 1/2 marathon. That takes us to today. I was sent to the hospital for a stress test. That's when they take an ultrasound of your heart immediately after working out. When I checked in they gave me a bracelet that said "Fall Risk." Really? I just laughed. I was told it's mandatory for anyone who has fallen within 3 months. I had a whole crowd watching me on that tread mill--two technicians, a nurse, a resident, the ultrasound tech. I think they were having fun seeing how fast they could get me going. And I think they don't get "young" people in this department very often. Anyway, it was non-eventful. I didn't pass out. My heart didn't explode. And all my tests came back normal. Let's just chalk this one up to exhaustion.

6 comments:

Arlene said...

Oh dear!!! This made my heart race to read it! So glad you are okay!

Cherie said...

Shauna I am so glad you are ok! I thought just maybe they were going to say you were pregnant. :)

Unknown said...

@Cherie--Nope. Not pregnant. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Clammy said...

Oh wow! thats scary!

I'm glad that the test came back normal!

Carolyn (Dragon) said...

Now you know what I go through every time I have a stress test.

Kimberly said...

I'm SO glad you're okay!